Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Bill of responsibilities

After watching the clips of a Hopi prophet that inspired my last piece, I went on a hunt for more of the same and I found good stuff. One Indian elder pointed out that he sees all kinds of people advocating bills of rights, but almost none pushing bills of responsibility.

That’s the problem with many that call themselves free-market thinkers. With private ownership of property, low tax rates, and the other freedoms we aspire to, comes a responsibility to be good stewards of the land, water, air, plants, animals and other people in our domain. It is our failure to acknowledge and accept those responsibilities that creates the need for government.

Not only do we have a reponsibility to care for those in our charge, we also are responsible for protecting the needs and rights of our neighbors when selfish, abusive, predatory entities, whether they be governmental or corporate, steal or abuse basic rights of life and freedom God intended for all his creatures to enjoy.

The old man pointed out that of the top 100 economic entities on this planet, 49 are governments and 51 are corporations.

Given a choice between Communism and Fascism, I choose neither.

And those are the only two choices I’m given if I restrict my responsibility as a citizen of this land to casting votes in rigged elections.

I find myself trapped by a very effective system; evil has been perfected over the centuries and I honestly don’t know how to fight effectively anymore. They had a big head start on me before I breathed my first breath. It appears that divine intervention is the only hope, but history has proven that we have to take the first step for such things to come about.

It’s going to get really dark before the new dawn. I’d say it already is pretty damn dark. But I don’t think we’ve seen the worst of it by a long shot.

We owe it to our children, and their children and the children of generations to come to do something. We are the people we’ve been waiting for.

No comments:

Post a Comment