Sunday, August 1, 2010

Parable of the talents, updated for 2010

Sunday August 1, 2010, first workday of the week.

Sitting here looking out the window watching hay bales spitting out the back of a baler, anticipating (or is it dreading) going out to pick the damned things up in 100 degree weather (taken in the shade and there ain’t no shade in our hay fields).

Been thinking a bit about the parable of the talents. You know the one: master goes off and leaves ten talents with one guy, five with another and one with the last. When the master comes back the guy with ten talents has turned ten into twenty. He’s good. Guy with five has turned his five into ten. He, too, is good. Guy with one buried his for safe keeping. He’s bad. His one goes to the guy that turned ten into twenty.

Having been given some talents, I’m busy working my ass off trying to produce more, but I’m wondering what the master is going to think when he comes back and I tell him I managed to lose nine of the ten talents he gave me?

Perhaps if talents isn’t money, there’ll be another outcome, but the way I see things, the harder you work nowadays actually producing something, the quicker you’re liable to go broke.

No comments:

Post a Comment